Bunding specifications should be determined on a site-by-site basis. Facilities that are required to have bunded areas include:- electrical transformers having oil and/or PCBs
- storage facilities for chemicals and petroleum products
- milk processing plants, wineries and breweries
- transport facilities used to transfer stored liquids
- temporary or permanent drum storage areas
- processing areas
- any other facilities that store substances other than water or uncontaminated storm water
- any other locations where spills are common, including transfer points, workshops, factories, service stations, wash bays, and other areas in which a material is transferred from its container.
The following are the several different types of bunds:
There are general rules that should be followed when designing and constructing bunds but the following two diagrams show many of the points that should be incorporated into bund design.