Spill Prevention Methods
Spills can happen during a substance's storage, it's transfer or transport, or during use as leaks.
Here are a few tips in preventing actual spills:
- substances should be stored on a strong shelf and aptly designed storage areas that minimize breakage and tipping
- larger containers should be stored closer to the floor
- containers on shelves should be placed further away from the edge to prevent incidents of falling
- storage shelves with lips also reduce the danger of falling
- regular inspection for integrity of the containers should be done
- usage of carts in transporting or moving containers
- using pumps in transferring substances from a container to another
- providing spill containment to capture any leaks.
- reducing clutter and unnecessary materials
- eliminating trip hazards and other obstructions in the workplace
- preparing all necessary equipment before starting work
- check for any holes or leaks for transfer equipment like hoses, pipes, and valves